This multi-faceted project saw the meticulous conversion of an historic and previously uninhabited barn into a self-contained guest annex with en-suite accommodation and open plan kitchen. A substantial stair elevation in weathered oak separates the main guest quarters from the living space and is the central structure around which are housed a concealed kitchen pantry, refrigeration, under-stair storage and bookcase while upstairs, the first floor landing leads to the master suite and adjoining bathroom ‘pods’.
On the ground floor, the kitchen forms the heart of an open plan living arrangement featuring brushed stainless steel worktops and Corian-clad surfaces, distinctly contemporary materials that provide a note of contrast to the weathered oak structural joinery and the barn’s original stonework. A long cantilevered cooking elevation is situated under an expansive double height window with views out to rolling countryside, the stainless steel up-stand housing a bespoke extraction unit and full-length plant trough.
Detailed to a professional catering standard, elements of the kitchen design were developed with the input of a consultant chef and include a Barazza gas hob and commercial grade Miele dishwasher. The Corian-clad island features a solid brushed stainless steel worktop with breakfast bar complete with a fully integrated welded sink and drainer slopes.
- Materials: weathered oak (tongue & groove paneled), Corian, brushed stainless steel, solid & custom veneered oak, and glass
- Appliances & Fitments: Gaggenau ovens, warming drawer and fridge-freezer, Barazza gas burner, Miele commercial dishwasher and a Westin bespoke extractor
- Main components: central staircase elevation & all internal doors, cantilevered hob elevation and kitchen island
- Bathroom ‘pods’: Corian-clad shower and lavatory cubicles with Boffi fitments and sanitary ware throughout
- Project architect: Llewellyn Harker Architects
- Private client
"Jack, Edd and the team went the extra mile to fulfill our beautiful bespoke barn conversion. The project had a completely holistic approach from beginning to end, with the aftercare service being just as imperative as the main bulk of the project. We have whole heartedly recommended Jack Trench and co. to our friends and family and will most definitely use their services for future ventures.”